The Summit Legal Defenders’ mission is to treat every client as an individual, not the sum of their charges. We envision our work within the context of social justice and the opportunity for growth and change. Our attorneys work to offer solutions to problems and navigate the criminal justice system in partnership with the client. Our goal is to provide high-quality legal service to the indigent population of Summit County in a respectful, diligent, and responsive manner.
We are a non-profit agency established in 1974 and our main office is in downtown Akron, Ohio, led by Director Andrea Whitaker.
Job Description – Managing Attorney
The Managing Attorney must maintain the highest personal, professional, and ethical standards as a member of this office. A commitment to indigent defense and compassion for clients and families is essential. The Managing Attorney reports to the Director of the SLD. No private clients or outside practice of law is permitted.
The Managing Attorney will be responsible for the management of a cohort of the SLD’s Staff Attorneys. The Managing Attorney will work with Director, Deputy Director, and other Management staff to ensure the delivery of high-quality legal services to the indigent population of Summit County, with a focus on best practices in advocacy, and support of experienced or developing attorneys.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is $80,000.00 – $95,000.00, commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid vacation and all other benefits that the SLD provides including life, dental, vision, medical, and retirement. SLD does not participate in the OPERS retirement system. SLD Employees qualify for PSLF load forgiveness. This is an exempt, at-will position.
Duties will include but are not limited to:
• Support and direction of delivery of high-quality legal services throughout the SLD.
• Support and coaching of staff attorneys in the practice of law including observation, direct and indirect support, case and file review, performance reviews, and general review of legal practice.
• Handle a reduced caseload and cover courts, or act as co-counsel, when necessary.
• Manage staffing issues and attorney schedules.
• Act as point person for issues arising in multiple courthouses and work with Director and SLD management to resolve these issues in a timely and efficient manner to the benefit of our clients.
• Collaborate with SLD management to manage attorney practice, set goals, provide input on staffing, budgeting, and other planning issues.
• Collaborate with professionals in other organizations to support attorney practice.
• Travel between courthouses to observe and support attorneys.
• 10 years minimum experience in the practice of law.
• Licensed to practice law in Ohio in good standing with no disciplinary incidents.
• Experience in providing individual support, coaching, managing teams, and resolving conflicts preferred.
• Extensive experience in criminal law, including significant trial experience at the misdemeanor and felony level required.
• Excellent judgement and interpersonal skills, with the ability to lead and listen.
• Positive and collaborative relationships with courts and systems, including judges, court staff and other associated staff.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and remote meeting software platforms.
• Willingness to gain proficiency in other systems needed to support attorney practice, including OPD online.
• Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation.
Please send resume and cover letter to Deputy Director Jill Cabe firstname.lastname@example.org with Managing Attorney in the subject line. Please do not call the office.