Director, Summit County Legal Defender Office
Legal Defender Office of Summit County
The Legal Defender Office of Summit County, Ohio, Inc. is seeking to fill the position of: Director
The Legal Defender Office of Summit County, Ohio, Inc. (“LDO”) provides legal representation services in criminal proceedings to adults charged with misdemeanors and juveniles accused of a crime who cannot afford to hire a lawyer. The Legal Defender Office of Summit County, Ohio, Inc. is governed by the Summit County Public Defender Commission (“SCPDC”). The successful candidate will be an employee of the LDO, a non-profit corporation.
The Summit County Public Defender Commission is initiating a search for the position of Director to serve as the chief executive officer of the LDO, reporting directly to the SCPDC.
The role of Director of the LDO is to provide direction, leadership and resources in order to ensure that the mission of the LDO is achieved through the collective efforts of the LDO staff.
The Director is the senior administrator of the LDO and is responsible for the daily administration of the LDO. The Director is responsible for the implementation of policies set by the SCPDC pursuant to Chapter 120 of the Ohio Revised Code set forth by the Ohio Public Defender’s Standards and Guidelines for County Public Defenders. The Director provides organizational leadership and participates in the SCPDC’s formulation of mission, goals, objectives, and related policies and procedures. The Director organizes, coordinates, controls, and directs the staff, programs, and activities of the LDOSC.
The Director is responsible for the operation of the LDO office, hiring and firing, determining staff salaries and duties. The Director maintains minutes of the SCPDC meetings, reports to the SCPDC, and implements SCPDC policy. In addition, the Director supervises expenditures; signs contracts as authorized; and functions as a spokesperson, when required, for the LDO. The Director represents the LDO at various public events.
The Director serves as the LDO statutory agent. It is the responsibility of the Director to ensure that the LDO meets all local, state, and federal legal requirements for the conduct of business and affairs of the LDO. The Director is also responsible for ensuring that the LDO operates within the established Bylaws.
The Director serves as the chief liaison between the LDO and all courts and other legal and government offices, businesses and all other entities with which the LDO interacts.
Qualifications for the LDO Director
- Juris Doctor Degree from an ABA accredited law school.
- Minimum of seven (7) years of legal experience practicing in the area of criminal law.
- Significant jury trial experience in the area of criminal law.
- Prior supervisory/management experience.
- Effective experience in managing, directing and delegating responsibilities, and the ability to personally handle all of the functions necessary to run an organization.
- Experience in developing and managing collaborative relationships with other organizations that have missions complementary to and supportive of the LDO and its mission.
- Effective presentation, public speaking, communication and media relation skills, with experience in addressing diverse groups.
- Demonstrated positive relationships among persons and groups with whom the LDO will have frequent contact.
- Competency in the use of electronic communication and other office management technology.
- Willingness to travel as required in fulfilling responsibilities.
Those interested in becoming a candidate for the LDO Director position are to respond by email to the LDO Search Committee at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include your cover letter, curriculum vitae/resume, salary history and compensation requirements and contact information for at least three professional references by August 14, 2020. Please be sure to provide an email address for communication purposes. Please no phone calls.
Job Type: Full-time
- Monday to Friday
- One location
- As needed
- Salary will be dependent upon experience. Minimum starting salary of $84,000.00/annually.
Click the link below to learn more about the position.