Franklin County Public Defender Office
Position: Social Worker
Starting Salary: $40,361
Instructions: Applicants interested in the above position, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com or fax to 614-461-6470.
Coordinating with case attorneys, develops information relative to client issues, problems, and concerns, and considers environmental factors that could impact client behavior. When appropriate, proposes the use of community resources to positively impact and/or influence client behavior.
1. Accumulates and reviews available facts about the case and the client from case attorney and court personnel. (Involvement in a case is generally initiated by a request from case attorney or the judge.)
2. Interviews clients to observe and discover additional facts, attitudes, reactions, etc.
3. Makes field investigations, including discussions with client family members, friends, neighbors, etc.
4. Communicates with witnesses and professionals.
5. Makes recommendations relative to sentencing alternatives, clients' efforts to correct problems, etc. Prepares pre-sentence reports.
6. Has a working knowledge of social agencies, the services they provide, and maintains a line of communication with such agencies.
7. In cases resulting in incarceration, upon request by the assigned attorney, works collaboratively with them to pursue early release options and advises client accordingly.
8. Performs other similar and related duties and responsibilities as may be designated by the Unit Chief or attorneys.
SOCIAL WORKER I
1. Four (4) year degree in an accredited college or university in social work or closely related curricula.
2. Must have a current license for social work in the State of Ohio
3. One (1) year of experience in the field of social work, preferably associated with the judicial system, counseling and knowledge of local social agencies and services.
4. Ability to effectively communicate with clients and others, both inside and outside the Public Defender organization.
5. Must have a car, good driving record, valid driver’s license, and automobile
6. Ability to maintain confidentiality of information relative to clients and other associates.
Social Worker II
7. All of the above requirements, exemplary performance as a Social Worker I, and an additional three (3) to four (4) years of consistent exemplary performance thereafter.